March 7, 2006

I Love You, Alice B. Toklas! (1968) part 4


Let's review:





Let's get on with it:

What does one do after an Alice B. Toklas brownie binge?

Why, mini-golf, of course. It's much more fun that way. The angles suddenly seem easier to understand.


"Where's Harold?"


Harold seeks flower child, Nancy, at her place of employment--a hippie boutique. Perhaps there was a little Apple Boutique influence here?


The Beatles' Apple Boutique being "touched up" by The Fool.


Harold: I came to see you.
Nancy: Groovy!
Harold: You're very pretty.
Nancy: So are you.


"You should have told what was in those brownies."


"Thank Alice B. Toklas. It's her recipe. She wrote a freaky cookbook."

Seeing as it's 1968, and Los Angeles, the establishment is eager to let its freak flag fly.

"Excuse me, I'm looking for a skirt."


"Can you take up two inches?"

They head back to Harold's place, which is right around the corner.

Great icebreaker: "I have a butterfly."


"I know. Is it a monarch? I've never been this close to a butterfly before."



The "love sharing" is interrupted by Harold's mother, who calls to make sure she didn't go to the wrong bakery. The brownies she bought weren't nearly as good as Harold's.




The next day is the wedding-a, can you believe it?



Harold's little brother, and full-fledged hippie, Herbie, wears another type of Indian ritual suit to the wedding-a.


Poor Joyce, never a bride.


Harold, obviously, is having second, and third, thoughts.


It's a bad sign when the groom begins casually talking to the bride during the rabbi's shpeil. Harold tells Joyce she looks very pretty, and this must be very important to her.


"This is wrong. You don't really know who I am.I don't know me."


Ironically, Murray warns Harold: "Stop it, Harold. You'll never forgive yourself."


Harold: I'll never forgive myself if I ruin her life.


"Far-r-r out."




The runaway groom


We return to the Manson Family, down on Sunset Blvd.

"It's not in there. There's nothing to find in there. There are no people there. Only machines. Garbage disposing machines...

THE HIPPIEFICATION OF HAROLD F.

...Dish washing machines...


...Television machines being watched by people machines...


...We have left the machine, and by so doing, we are opting for survival."



Survival?

A full three years before John Lennon's "Imagine", and its message of forsaking material possessions, Harold Fine decides love is all he needs. Makes one wonder if life was imitating art when Lennon wrote it...

Life in a psychedelic Olds(?) Cadillac? Buick?

Wakey, wakey


Must keep up with the Stones.




Shavin'


Brushin'


Under arm deodorantin'


Jammin'


Lovin'

Later, at the beach...



I hate that book.


Harold's brainwashing begins:

"Flower in the crannied wall
I pluck you out of the crannies
I hold you here, root and all, in my hand,
Little flower--but if I could understand
What you are, root and all, and all in all
I should know what God and man is."


Why not? Tennyson worked on the chick from scene one.


"But how can you know what a flower is, HAROLD, if you don't know who you are? Who are you? Do you know who you are?"


Harold: I'm trying, guru, I'm really trying.


Hippie Rasputin: When you stop trying, then you'll know who you are.


Harold: Well, I'm trying to stop trying.

COMING UP IN PART 5 (the last one):


Harold begs Nancy to kiss his ankh.....and SHE DOES! What a trooper.

  • part 5
  • 1 comment:

    Chris said...

    It is kind of strange. I think it captures the zany energy of the 1960s, and 1968, specifically.

    (Note to self: fuzzball not into body hair.)