November 30, 2005

Eggman and Zimmerman take a cab

There's no doubt the meeting of The Beatles and Bob Dylan in 1964 was a momentous occasion in pop culture history. Dylan was a huge influence on John Lennon. One need only listen to "You've Got to Hide Your Love Away" (whereupon Lennon does his very best Dylan imitation) to hear evidence. Dylan is said to have introduced the Fab Four to the chronic. Legend goes, Dylan believed the Liverpudlians were already "imbibing" because he thought the lyrics to "I Want to Hold Your Hand" included the line 'I get high', when in fact they were singing 'I can't hide, I can't hide, I can't hiiiiiide'.

After Dylan, The Beatles would go from writing songs like "I Don't Want to Spoil the Party" and doing cover versions(!) of songs like "Mr. Moonlight", to revolutionizing pop/rock music with "Strawberry Fields Forever", "Eleanor Rigby", "Tomorrow Never Knows", "A Day in the Life", etc., etc., etc. Can you say catalyst?

Here's interesting video, taken from an old 8mm film, of Dylan and Lennon riding together in a taxi in 1966. Check out Lennon's thick Liverpool accent. And they both seem a bit hide, I mean high.

I've been a Beatles fan for over twenty years, and I've never seen this:

No comments: