September 17, 2006

With a Little Help From My Friends


I thought I'd repost this, seeing as I have a few newer visitors who may not have enough interest to wade through my archives (although, this'll probably scare them off). This post was originally entitled "I Miss My MTV," and was primarily comprised of some of my favorite music videos from my teen era, the eighties. But the videos are no longer available through YouTube, so the post was pointless, except for the following.


And to think my friends and I used to walk into grocery stores looking like that.

The picture above is a screencap from a "film" friends and I made around 1982 called The Strange Isaac Eyes. Let's just say I was committed to the title role. Yes, that is a shower cap. Yes, that is black and white greasepaint.

We did another Super 8mm film we did called With a Little Help From My Friends around the same time period (82-83). This is what comes out of bored young boys fed a steady stream of MTV videos, Monty Python, SCTV, and Magical Mystery Tour in the 80s. I'm mainly behind camera except for this part (we tried to reproduce the scene in The Jerk where Navin's head spins completely around):

Exquisitely Bored in Nacogdoches after hours of MTV viewing

and towards the end in a sequence we called "The Trip." There is a brief, distant shot of bare buttocks, so, NSFW? We did several movies, and when we transfered them to VHS, they ended up having the sped up, silent movie-like jerkiness you will see:

7 comments:

Chris said...

Weren't we all? Youthfullness, alone, is attractive ;)

me said...

Man loved that Trip movie! . Isn't there some way to download those Tube clips?

Chris said...

Thanks, f--I could try and email you a zip file of it, or something.

me said...

Would appreciate that! (Err.. I just can't play Quicktime.) E-mail= f.feijen.nl@planet.nl Thanks!

Lisa said...

Ok I gotta ask ... you ever watch Freaks and Geeks?

Chris said...

lisa-I am familiar with Freaks and Geeks. fuzzball (Tracy) was reminded of The Goonies. Ugh.

Unknown said...

Just too cute!!!