February 6, 2007

"Hello, Goodbye"


Because I die a little bit every time the commercial using this as a jingle comes on, I hereby do my small part to reclaim it for Beatledom.

"Hello, Goodbye" was the Beatles' Christmas 1967 single. On November 10, 1967, the group filmed three promotional films at manager Brian Epstein's cash-strapped Saville Theatre. None of the promotional films were aired by the BBC due to its strict rules on miming.

Here is the one they did in their awesome Sgt. Pepper's gear (they filmed one in their street/hippie clothes, and a third was a combination of the two):



Bringing out the Pierre Cardins one last time


2 comments:

Lisa said...

I don't know what commercial uses this song -- now I'm not sure I want to know! It is like a Platonic ideal of a perfect pop song.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the AARP commercial that features the Buzzcocks' "Everybody's Happy Nowadays."

Chris said...

I didn't want to mention the name of the "upper-end," Wal-Martesque store so as not to give it even a bit of notoriety. The song is a slice of pure pop heaven!

Who'd have thought Buzzcocks and AARP would ever be in the same sentence??