October 28, 2009

Early morning: Richmond/Rosenberg


I drove home from visiting family in Eagle Lake this past weekend via Richmond/Rosenberg. As is sometimes the case, I was rewarded by finding a couple of things I'd never photographed before, and a couple of things I got in a new light.

herradura restaurant
I'd snapped this great Herradura Restaurant neon sign before, but I just had to pull over as I entered Rosenberg to get it against the morning sky.

herradura restaurant

cole theatre
I couldn't leave Rosenberg without getting some pics of the old "colored" theater, the beautiful, Art Deco Cole Theater. Built in 1937, I'd taken some of it previously. A current musical obsession, The Ink Spots, performed here in 1948.

cole theatre

fort bend county courthouse
Fort Bend County Courthouse, c. 1909, Classical Revival/Beaux-Arts

Upon leaving Richmond, I did a double take as I drove past Larry's Original Mexican Restaurant. This type of thing fills me with so much joy I want to cry:
larry's original mexican restaurant
larry's original mexican restaurant
larry's original mexican restaurant
Jackpot!

About eight miles east of Richmond is the town of Sugar Land, best known locally (at least at one time) for the Imperial Sugar factory:
imperial sugar
imperial sugar
In 1907, the factory was purchased by Galvestonian (my hometown) I.H. Kempner, the great-grandfather (possibly great, great-grandfather) of a childhood friend. To further toot my own horn (toot, toot!), I briefly dated another grandchild, she being a cousin to the childhood friend.

2 comments:

Gunnar and Sherry said...

Very cool pics!

Chris said...

Thanks!